The present windmill was built in 1803. As early as the beginning of the 15th century mention was made of a windmill on this spot. It is presumed that this windmill, a wooden post mill, was built around 1400. In 1707 the wooden post mill was replaced by a stone windmill. One century later the windmill appeared to be too small. It did not catch enough wind in the ever growing city. De Noord was broken down and was subsequently rebuilt nearer to the water. De Noord started to grind grain for the distilleries
At the beginning of the 20th century cattle fodder was ground in addition to wheatmeal for the bakers. Around 1930 a diesel engine was placed inside the windmill (which was used to keep the grinding going in times when there was hardly any wind). The engine is presently standing along the ‘s Gravelandseweg in Schiedam.
From the 1930’s onwards generating energy by wind was less and less common. This resulted in the dismantling of De Noord in 1937. The cap, the sail-cross, the front and rear tie beams, the capstan wheel and the railing were removed and only a stump remained. During the war years the Germans used the stump as an observation-post. At the same time it played a vital role in the activities of the Dutch resistance.
After the war the Schiedam municipality bought what was left of De Noord. The intention was to restore the windmill,
so that it could grind again. The first restoration phase in 1962 dealt with the cap, the sail-cross, the front and the rear tie beams, the capstan wheel and the railing. De Noord was now beginning to look like a real windmill again.
The second phase started 10 years later. This time a large group of volunteers helped with the restoration work.
Around 1970 grain could be ground again. Soon after the restoration a bar was opened in De Noord which became a
restaurant in later years.
The glass without stand.
It is a bit strange, with a glass without a stand.
The glass: in the distillery, where the Jenever was produced, the foreman had his own locker. There he kept his papers and behind a round hole hung his chain watch. At regular times he opend the locker and took out the glass - without stand - filled it with the Jenever and all present could have a sip. Some foremen kept the glass - without stand - in the cover of their cap. That cap was rarely removed; when going to bed, in the church, and when the glass had to be taken out.
A nice gift to take home in memory of Schiedam!
Ask your waiter for the price.